The country bordering South Sudan to the south is Uganda. In Uganda over 1000 different species of birds have been identified. Does this same number exist in South Sudan? We think so. This will be a first of many safaris to identify the birds of South Sudan.
At the same time you will visit the tribes of Mundari,Toposa, Jie, and Dinka, and visit the great Sudd swamp
Join Herbert Byaruhanga, Ornithological expert from Uganda in creating a bird list for South Sudan. Herbert has his own safari company in Uganda called www.birduganda.com and he is a driving force in teaching the people about the birds of Uganda. He regularly has classes to teach the safari guides how to ID birds.
Ornithologist Herbert Byaruhanga
SAFARI DATES: Feb 19-28, 2016
SAFARI PRICE: $3475 usd per person
See the link 10 day safaris for the itinerary and what is included. Look at route 7.
The town of Jonglei on the west bank of the Nile River (75 km north of Bor) where you will spend two days birding. This is the southern edge of the great Sudd swamp.
A List 62 Birds in South Sudan that have been identified to date-
- Greyish Eagle-Owl
- European Honey Buzzard
- White-winged terns
- Senegal thick-knees
- Rock pratincoles
- Abdim's Stork
- Yellow-billed Stork
- Goliath Heron
- African Fish Eagle
- Golden Pipit
- Hemprich's Hornbill
- Abyssinian Schmitarbill
- Boran Cisticola
- Rubus Chatterer
- White-rumped Babbler
- Kenya Violet-backed Sunbird
- Rock Pratincoles
- African white-backed Vultures
- Long-crested Eagle
- Marabou Stork
- Wahlberg's Eagle
- Hooded Vulture
- Abyssinian Roller
- Black-breasted Barbet
- Fulvous Whistling-Duck
- White-faced Whistling-Duck
- Spur-winged Goose
- African Openbill
- White Stork
- Saddle-billed Stork
- African Sacred Ibis
- Glossy Ibis
- Cattle Egret
- Squacco Heron
- Sun Lark
- Red-pate Cisticola
- Foxy Cisticola
- Red-winged Grey Warbler
- Chestnut-crowned Sparrow-weaver
- Cinnamon Weaver
- Red-winged Pytilia
- Goliath Heron
- Purple Heron
- Great White Egret
- Great White Pelican
- Pink-back Pelican
- Long-tailed Cormorant
- Fox Kestral
- Black Crowned-Crane
- Red-throated Bee-Eater
- Yellow-billed Strike
- Ermin's Strike
- Purple Glossy-starling
- Bronze-tailed Glossy-Starling
- White-fronted Black Chat
- Bush Petronia
- Black-bellied Fire Finch
- Black-rumped Waxbill
Abssynina Roller - Herbert Byaruhanga photo
Included In All Safaris:
- All meals during the safari, while in our mobile camp.
- All bottled water, sodas, beer(as long as it lasts), juices, coffee, tea and ice during the safari, while in our mobile camp.
- Individual tent with cot bed that has mattress, sheets, pillow (blankets or sleeping bags are not necessary).
- Mobile enclosed showers, towels and body & hair shower soap.
- Mobile enclosed toilets.
- All Park fees at $70 usd per day per person.
- Camera permit $50 usd and the costs to obtain the permit.
- Introduction letter to get your visa.
- Translators from the local tribal languages to English.
- Drivers/guides that are knowledgable about the wildlife and tribes
- Full mobile kitchen with chef and helper.
- Rechargeable Lanterns
- 4x4 vehicles from Juba airport to Juba airport. Most of the parks in South Sudan have no roads so we navigate by GPS when searching for wildlife.
- Laundry as weather permits.
- Armed Forest Rangers guides
- Ice makers.
- Shaded dining area with camp chairs, tables and lanterns.
- 220 and 110 volt Power takes offs to charge camera batteries
- Visits to tribal villages for photography and purchasing artifacts.
- Game viewing (most game viewing will be from the 4x4 vehicles, however there may be some short distance walking to reach particular areas).
Not Included in All Safaris:
- Airfare to Juba (see our page on this subject in this web site -"Flying To South Sudan")
- South Sudan Visa (see our page on this subject in this web site - "Visas, Entry Permits...")
- Entry letter to Board the aircraft to Juba (see our page on this subject in this web site) (the entry letter is not necessary if you have a visa)
- Any health expenses for illness or accident including malaria prevention, yellow fever innoculation, hospitalization, doctor consultations, emergency evacuation costs. Check with your health insurance if you are covered while traveling, if not we recommend you obtain health insurance while you are in Southern Sudan. See www.flydoc.org for insurance for emergency evaucation to a modern Nairobi Hospital
- Any costs for delays caused by airlines, weather, mud, political occurences, lost luggage. (such as extra charges for: hotels, meals, taxis, airline fees to change tickets)
- Any costs for rescheduling.
- Any costs for your arriving in Juba early or departing later of the scheduled dates.
- Hard liquor
- Use of SAT phone in camp $4 usd per minute